STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION FOR EXAMPLE E
This is an example that shows how to determine the displacement time history of a moving insect body part with the image pattern tracking (IPT) method. A group of images were acquired with a high speed imaging system at a frame rate of 10000 fps to capture the head bang motion of a termite. This image group includes 3000 frames, and a ruler image is used to determine the object to image ratio.
Step 1: Create image file list
- Execute file “Edpiv.exe” - The start window is shown on the screen;
- Select menu “Edit \ File list” - Dialogue box “Creating file list” appears;
- Press “Input files” button - Dialogue box “Data file list” appears;
- Browse hard drives to find folder “…\ PIVsamples \ e_InsectBodyPartMotion”;
- Arbitrarily select one of the Windows Bitmap (BMP) files in the folder;
- Press “Open” button - Dialogue box “Data file list” is closed;
- Press “Output file” button - Dialogue box “Data file list” appears again;
- Browse the hard drives to find a destination folder;
- Type a name for the file list in the edit box indicated by “File name”;
- Click “Save” button - Dialogue box “Data file list” is closed;
- Set “Recording type” to 3;
- Select menu “Create” to generate the image file list;
- Close the dialogue box to return to the start window.
Step 2: Open the image group
- Click menu “File \ Image group” in the start window - Dialogue box “Recording group” appears;
- Browse the file system to find the image file list created in step 1;
- Click “Open” - The first frame of the image group is shown in the window.
Step 3: Input imaging scale and time interval
- Click menu “Edit / Scale & time” in the start window to open dialogue box “Imaging scale / time interval”;
- Input 9 in edit box “Reading on ruler [mm]”;
- Input 179 in edit box “Corresponding pixels”;
- Input 100 in edit box “Time interval [mu-s]”;
- Press “OK” button to return to start window.
Step 4: Tracking an image pattern and save the data
- Press button “Evaluation” in the start window;
- Increase the window size to clearly see the image pattern;
- Select menu “Tools \ Image pattern tracking”;
- Move the mouse arrow to (30,94) and click left mouse button - dialogue box “Image pattern for calibration marker search” appears;
- Set parameters as
- Press “OK” to start the image pattern tracking - dialogue box “Group evaluation” appears;
- Press “OK” in dialogue box “Group evaluation”;
- Wait until the evaluation is completed;
- Click menu “File \ Save data” to save the raw results in a file.
Step 5: Data postprocessing
- Click menu “Edit \ Single PIT/IPT \ Data on/off” to display the displacement time histories in the window;
- Click menu “Edit \ Single PIT/IPT \ Postprocessing \ Gradient”;
- Set 1 to both “forward step” and “backward step” in dialogue box “Discrete gradient”;
- Press “OK” button in the dialogue box;
- Click menu “File \ Save data” to save the velocity time history.
- Click menu “Edit \ Single PIT/IPT \ Postprocessing \ Gradient” again, and set 1 to both “forward step” and “backward step”, to compute head moving acceleration time history;
- Click menu “File \ Save data” to save the acceleration time history.
Step 6: Make plots with TECPLOT software
- Close EDPIV;
- Use TECPLOT to make plots.
Displacement time history:
Velocity time history:
Acceleration time history: